Have you put much thought into switching off PSTN yet? The Big PSTN Switch Off is just around the corner, so you’ll need to consider how your business is going to react.
No need to worry though, we will walk you through the entire process to make it as seamless as possible. From switching to implementation to post-installation support, at Simplicity we have you covered.
Plus, your business can find untold benefits from switching up. Check out our guide below discussing what the switch means and what it can mean for your business.
What is the PSTN?
PSTN was an old method of communication using global telecommunication systems. It has been around for many decades. It provides analogue voice communication services over a physical network of wires.
What is the PSTN Switch Off?
The PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) switch-off refers to the process of phasing out and discontinuing the traditional copper-based telephone network infrastructure.
The switch-off of the PSTN involves retiring the outdated copper-based network infrastructure and replacing it with modern digital networks.
Why is it changing?
Newer digital communication technologies, such as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) have gained popularity and offered a more efficient and cost-effective alternative to traditional phone services.
These technologies transmit voice and data over digital networks. Often utilizing the internet as the underlying infrastructure.
When is the PSTN turning off?
BT Openreach has earmarked the end of 2025 as the date that the big switch-off will be fully rolled out. It may seem like a long time, but everyone currently using PSTN-based services will need to move to another service before then. So, there really isn’t time to waste.
What do I need to switch to?
We recommend switching to Voice over Internet protocol (VoIP). This is a phone system that uses an internet connection to make and receive calls. It will replace the current PSTN system and has a much wider scope for working with your business. This is a major step towards the UK’s mass IP-network migration.
What are the benefits of changing?
Changing how your staff communicates with clients, customers, partners & vendors can impact your business.
VoIP can help your business immeasurably and in the following ways:
1. Cost Savings: VoIP typically offers significant cost savings, especially for long-distance and international calls. VoIP bypasses traditional telephone networks resulting in lower call charges. Additionally, businesses can consolidate their voice and data networks, reducing infrastructure and maintenance costs.
2. Flexibility and Scalability: VoIP systems are highly flexible and scalable. This allows businesses to easily add or remove phone lines as needed. It’s simple to expand or downsize the phone system to accommodate changes in staff size or business requirements. This scalability makes VoIP suitable for businesses of all sizes.
3. Mobility: VoIP enables users to make and receive calls from anywhere with an internet connection. It supports features such as call forwarding, simultaneous ringing on multiple devices, and voicemail to email transcription. With mobile apps, employees can stay connected to their business phone system using their smartphones, ensuring seamless communication on the go.
4. Advanced Features: VoIP systems offer a wide range of advanced features that enhance productivity and collaboration. These features may include call routing, auto-attendants, voicemail-to-email, call recording, conferencing, virtual phone numbers, and integration with other communication tools such as email and messaging platforms.
5. Unified Communications: VoIP can be integrated with other communication and collaboration tools, creating a unified communications environment. This integration enables users to have voice, video, and messaging capabilities on a single platform, improving efficiency and streamlining communication workflows.
6. Rich Media and Multimedia Support: VoIP supports not only voice calls but also video calls and multimedia content sharing. This capability facilitates virtual meetings, video conferences, and screen sharing, enabling more interactive and engaging communication.
7. Easy Management and Administration: VoIP systems are generally easier to manage and administer compared to traditional phone systems. Many VoIP services offer web-based administration portals that allow users to configure and customize their phone system settings conveniently.
As a platinum partner of Gamma, you can guarantee a competitive price and quality product. What sets us apart is that we are committed to providing excellent customer service (just check our reviews!).
Our team is always available to answer your questions and address any concerns you may have. Our team will be right there with you from installation all the way to aftercare support. So, you can guarantee quick and reliable service.
We believe that trust is essential in any business relationship. We are committed to being honest, transparent, and reliable in all our dealings with our customers.
Email or call one of the experts today for the different options available, which would suit your business, and the next steps.